Rendez-vous in Biarritz
Biarritz...where else ?
Biarritz owes its steady popularity not only to its beachesand surfing spots, but also to its golf courses and health spas, not to mention the many festivals and cultural events that are held here throughout the year.
What’s so special about Biarritz?
It enjoys a wonderful location on the sea, yet is just a stone’s throw from the mountains. The surrounding region has retained its authenticity, and Spain is just across the border. Rarely does one destination offer so much variety.
The high standards of its facilities and the wide range of accommodation available make this resort an attractive proposition for visitors of all ages –which is why they keep returning to Biarritz.
- Musée de la mer and the Cité de l’Océan represent an innovative concept in oceanographic museums unique in the world, in a building designed by New York architect Steven Holl.
- Musée Asiatica, featuring the arts of Asia, is one of Europe’s five largest
museums of Oriental arts; but don’t overlook other museums devoted to chocolate (Musée du Chocolat) and municipal history (Musée Historique de Biarritz).
- Biarritz lighthouse is 73 metres (nearly 240 feet) high; the Imperial Chapel was built in 1864 at the request of Napoleon III’s wife, Empress Eugenia.
- Many special exhibitions are held throughout the year.
- The ‘Virgin’s Rock’ (Rocher de la Vierge), connected to land by a metal footbridge attributed to Gustav Eiffel
- The fishing port (Ports des Pêcheurs) where whale-hunters once gathered. Today it is a colourful site that boasts fish and seafood restaurants.
- The varied beaches that stretch along 6 kilometres (4 miles) of Biarritz coastline.
- The manysurfing schools (Biarritz is the cradle of European surfing)
- The second-oldest golf course on the continent (the Biarritz Lighthouse
course), the modern international golf-training centre at Ilbarritz, and 12 other golf courses located within a radius of 12 kilometres (8 miles) of Biarritz.
- Health curesoffered by the many spas that are now the leaders in their field.
- Ongoing entertainment and cultural activities for all tastes and ages: theatre, festivals,
dance, concerts, pelota (jai alai), restaurants, and so on.
- By plane : Aéroport international de Biarritz : 3 km (2 miles)
- By train : Train station TGV of Biarritz : 2 km (1.3 miles)
- By car : A63 and A64
Tel : 00 34 5 59 22 37 00